Here at Des Plaines Memory, we believe that history begins with you! We invite you to help us document the lives of the people of Des Plaines by sharing your own photographs, writing, artwork and more. Future historians, students, teachers, genealogists and internet searchers will thank you!
We are interested in anything you think is important, but here are some suggestions to get you started:
Family histories | The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on your life | Personal achievements | Businesses you own | Your life at work or school | Changes to your city or neighborhood | National and world events that have shaped your life | Natural or man-made disasters | Your civic involvement in clubs, politics, faith communities, etc. | Participation in sports or team activities | Letters, journal entries, emails, blog posts, etc. | Arts or crafts you’ve created | Hobbies | Celebrations
All individual contributions to Des Plaines Memory will be preserved in the Des Plaines Public Library and Des Plaines History Center digital archives and may be used in future exhibits, programming and the Des Plaines Memory website. Check out our Life During COVID-19 and My Des Plaines Memory collections to see what other people have contributed to the archives.
Read the complete Des Plaines Memory Terms and Conditions.
Here are three ways you can contribute to the Life During COVID-19 collection:
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Just attach your image or document files and send them to us. Be sure to include:
- A detailed DESCRIPTION: What can you tell us about the item you are sharing? Is it associated with an event or special occasion, particular people, places, or vivid memories? Feel free to tell us why you think this item is important, how you feel about it, etc.
- Name of the CREATOR: Who created this work (photographer, author, artist, business, etc.)?
- DATE: When was your item created? Please provide the month/day/year if known. If you don’t know the exact date you can write “about 1982” or “in the summer of 1940,” etc.
- LOCATION: Is there a location associated with this item (city, state, neighborhood, street address, etc.)?
- YOUR NAME: You will be listed as the contributor of this item to the archive.
Leave your written accounts on the Des Plaines History Center's COVID-19 Stories page.
All individual contributions to Des Plaines Memory are preserved in the Des Plaines Public Library and Des Plaines History Center's digital archives, and may be used in future exhibits and programming.